How many licks does it take to get...

...to the center of a tootsie roll pop? What a delicious problem to have!

Instead I was wondering how many shovelfuls of dirt it would take to move this pile from here to there. The current count was 70 wheelbarrow loads with about 40 shovelfuls apiece. It looks to be more than halfway done so the final count could end up being somewhere around...5000?!(Excuse me while I go and get more aspirin...) Wow, it sure didn't look like it was going to take that much work... It seems there must be a "Murphy's Law" for that; something along the lines of "Any project takes three times longer to do than expected"?

We want answers! We want to know how many times...
will I have to remind my child to say "please" or "thank you" before they do it on their own?
will I need to pray about this problem before I see a resolution?
will I have to pass up that cake or get on the treadmill until I lose this weight?
will I interview before I find a job?
will people look at my house before they buy it?
will I keep getting up after I've fallen down?
will I do the right thing before I get the desired results?
will I need to resist this temptation before it no longer has power over me?
will I share the gospel with my loved one before they respond to the Lord?
will I need to have this conversation until the message gets through?

The tasks we're doing repetitively, that seem to never end, really will be finished someday. At some point there will be no dirt left in my pile. I know that 2,800 shovelfuls is not enough but I'm hopeful that it will be less than 5000!

Our tasks are not yet complete which leaves us with two options either quit or the option that comes with a promise. "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9 At some point the children will learn, the project will be accomplished, the work will be over, the message will get through, and the rewards will be great.

This is not to say that there will not be sweat, tears, aching muscles, pained hearts or disappointments along the way but if we don't give up; if we take just one more shovelful of dirt, one more conversation, one more attempt, one more day, you never know...that could be the final one and the job will be done!

Whatever it is that you find yourself doing that seems it will never end - Hang in there and don't give up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to Carol Gallowitch, and Sunday School teachers everywhere

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends