#Sundayscoming

I've been seeing #Sundayscoming a lot this season and I get it and I love it - yes, Easter Sunday is just around the corner - Alleluia, Amen, Christ will be risen from the grave!

But today it's Saturday.

Typically I miss Saturday.  I observe Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.  I leave sanctuaries sad and solemn, aware that the payment for my sin was causing Christ great pain. I exit awed and grateful.

And then it's this morning and I watch the sun come up and plan my Easter menu and activities and do some baking and cleaning and generally have a regular day because I already know what's happening tomorrow.  

And I miss it.

I miss where we actually live; we live here in the "Now what? Saturday".

Any loss, after the shock has lessened, brings this question.  Loss of ability, of a job, of a position, of possessions; after the incredulousness of  "I can't believe that just happened" comes the "now what?".

The older I get the more friends I have who are experiencing the greatest loss, the death of one they love. Spouses, friends, parents and children have left their lives. I see their posts on Facebook on anniversary's of deaths, the times they're overwhelmed and reaching out for comfort for years afterwards...death has ripped their lives apart and I wish that their"Saturday" was only short time the disciples experienced. 

Now what?

Now that all we understood and were believing in and hoping for has been rendered cold and lifeless, now what?

Now that our closest companions are despair and hopelessness, now what?

Now that all my conscious and unconscious expectations for the future have forever altered, now what?

Where is Sunday?

I believe that for those of us who love God Sunday is coming.  
He's promised to never leave us (Hebrews 13:5) and that He gathers all our tears in a bottle. (Psalms 56:8) He knows our every sigh (Psalms 38:9) and heals the brokenhearted. (Psalms 147:3).
He has assured us that all things are working together in a plan for our lives that is ultimately for our good and His glory to make us more like Him. (Romans 8:28,29).  

I think that's powerful; knowing that our Saturday's are not random tragedies but part of God's plan. From our perspective two thousand years later we can say to the grieving and confused disciples, "Hold on, Sunday is coming". 

And today, in your Saturday, it's true for you too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe