I need a hero!

Every now and again my pen wanders into the area of Chick Lit and the results are always sophomoric and clichéd.

Boy, Girl, Drama, Happily Ever After.
It is just fiction after all...!!

I find all my heroes are the same. While some may write them as smart or handsome or rich; my heroes are strong. They have broad chests and strong arms and ride white horses into troubling conditions. I want a capable hero. A powerful hero. I want one who, no doubt about it, is going to come out on top in any fight.

Kind of like some of the lyrics from Bonnie Tyler's song "I need a hero"
"I need a hero
He's gotta be strong
He's gotta be sure
And he's gotta be larger than life."

And this concept has be the inspiration for millions of manuscripts for books, movies, and TV dramas.
I was surprised one morning while reading in Psalms to find this very idea...

Use your strong right arm to save us, and rescue your beloved people. Psalms 60:5

Hmm, God has strong arms - arms strong enough to save and to rescue... (seems a bit heretical to be thinking this way doesn't it? But the concept had me intrigued so I started seeing what else I could find...)

Powerful is your arm! Strong is your hand! Your right hand is lifted high in glorious strength.(like a fist pump?) Psalms 89:13

The strong right arm of the LORD is raised in triumph. The strong right arm of the LORD has done glorious things! Psalm 118:16

He acted with a strong hand and powerful arm. His faithful love endures forever. Psalms 136:12

A ha! Not only does God have a strong powerful capable right arm able to keep me from or rescue me from any danger, and that will be victorious in any fight but, along with His protection, comes His love; a steadfast, faithful love f o r e v e r.

Forget Chick Lit, and movies, and books.

I have One who has, of His own choosing, committed Himself to a relationship with me.
He came riding in on the white horse of grace and mercy.
I brought nothing to the situation but my own wretchedness and need.

He is the One who said "You are mine" and "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand" Isaiah 43:1, 41: 10 NLT
He has made me these promises! To defend me, protect me, be a shelter for me, a fortress, a refuge, my constant companion and guide; to first go before me to clear away the enemies and then walk with me along the way.

What more could I ask for?
I already have a hero.
And He's always by my side!
Come what may I walk with God who has powerful arms and is always victorious.
There's never a reason for this damsel to be in distress...!

Comments

Unknown said…
I love the idea of God being our hero. He is one hero who will always win. Amen! Thanks for this beautiful picture of God.
Kristen said…
Lovely reminder. God is our hero, Savior, friend. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to Carol Gallowitch, and Sunday School teachers everywhere

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends