It is well with my soul

"When peace like a river attendeth my way
 When sorrow like sea billows roll
 Whatever my lot,
 Thou hast taught me to say
 It is well, it is well with my soul."


How long does that take? 

How many lessons until one can say - "whatever their lot" - that it is well with their soul?

Here is the value of a long obedience in the same direction. 
Here is where a lifetime of faith stands to answer the question.

How does one learn that the Lord is faithful?
By going through many things one wishes to never have had happened.

Who would chose hardship? pain? difficulty? disappointment? financial downturn, poor health, or stressful circumstances?  

I'm not seeing many raised hands...

But to get the point where we can stand in our churches and sing these words honestly...well, we have to go through those lessons. Through the experiences of our lives we find that our God is good and loving and gracious and faithful and strong and true through those times when we are not. 

And after a lifetime of learning, we affirm the truths;

 "Let us exult and triumph in our troubles and rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that pressure and affliction and hardship produce patient and unswerving endurance. 
And endurance (fortitude) develops maturity of character - that is, approved faith and tried integrity.  and character [of this sort] produces [the habit of] joyful and confident hope of eternal salvation. Such hope never disappoints or deludes or shames us, for God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5 (Amplified version)

Whatever my lot
Thou  has taught me (and I have learned it through demonstration and experience of Your strength, love, and faithfulness) to say
It is well
It is well with my soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to Carol Gallowitch, and Sunday School teachers everywhere

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends