Musical Snapshots

Because of how the space time continuum works, it is impossible for us to truly go back and remember how we used to be now that we are who we are.  That being said, there are ways that give us a pretty good idea; our own memories, the memories of others, writings, and , the thing that never lies, pictures.

A snapshot from the past is always an interesting thing is it not?

 Nothing like seeing a picture and remembering that  once you were probably thinner, less wrinkled, had non-gray or more hair, and, to current eyes, a really bad sense of fashion!

This weekend I was treated to some snapshots via music as I pulled out some CD’s (hey, at least they weren’t eight tracks!) from ten and twenty plus years ago.  The first was the oldest, a pop artist whose every lyric I identified with.  His sentiments were my own.  This was my music, my story. 

 It was like seeing myself with an 80’s perm…

The music was angst-driven – ask my kids, I can no longer tolerate whiny music and when they are the DJing in the car they know to avoid it. The lyrics were familiar and reminded me of how I loved them and where I was and how I viewed life at that time. What a picture…

The second CD was more recent – Scott Krippayne’s Autobiography- from 2006. This had been in my regular rotation of music around that time but had gotten down to the bottom of the pile over the years – what a treasure to rediscover; like a photo with a good friend.

When it got to the song “You have been good”, my kitchen became a sanctuary and my heart lifted in worship.  These lyrics had been true then and now I’d lived a decade longer I had even more proof of their validity, or as the song itself says “Looking back over a lifetime, the evidence is clear. In so many ways You’ve been good to me”

If I never get to see another rainbow
Or share another laugh with a friend
If I never stand barefoot by the ocean
Or get to kiss my child good night again

If I never have another prayer that's answered
Or have another blessing come my way
If this is all I know of heaven's kindness
Father, I would still have to say

You have been good
You have been good
And I am in wonder how could it be
You have been good
You've been so good
So many ways You've been good to me

You have shown me mercy upon mercy
Grace upon grace, time after time
But  I know all too well what I'm deserving
Yet, You are still so patient and kind

If suddenly it all were ended
And Your mercies disappeared
Looking back over a lifetime
The evidence is clear
You have been good
You have been good
And I am in wonder how could it be
You have been good
You've been so good
 In so many ways You've been good to me.

Musical snapshots: 
I have changed, 
Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to Carol Gallowitch, and Sunday School teachers everywhere

There is a man named Don Casey

Being a parent and Chuck E Cheese tokens