Sometimes it's okay...

If you are a SAHM (stay at home mom) you will understand immediately the situation I found myself in. I had planned to take a shower all day and then it was 10 pm and I hadn’t. If you’d ask me why I hadn’t I wouldn’t have been able to tell you the exact thing(s) that kept me from taking care of my own needs, it had just been on of those days where everyone’s needs exceeded my time and energy.

So, after getting kids off to school and making breakfast and lunches, I finally got into the shower, better late than never.
I was ready for this 10 minute (okay, maybe 15 minute) vacation!
No sooner than I had the temperature adjusted just right than someone starting running water somewhere else in the house – INSTANT ICE!

Great, just great!

I am a good girl, always have been. I follow the rules, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, do unto others as I wish they’d do to me etc.

Now someone is messing up this shower; this event that has evolved from everyday personal maintenance to a symbol today of time for myself.
What is a girl to do?

As I tried to bypass the cold stream rushing out at me, I considered getting out and finding out who was running water and explaining…..and then realizing I would be the one who’d have to clean up all the wet footsteps to my destination…

So I cranked up the hot water, and left it there sufficiently depriving, I’m guessing, whoever was attempting to get hot water in another part of the house.

And for this mom, who is like all moms, always giving up for everyone else and making sure all other needs are met before her own, this was a hot, powerful reminder that there will always be needs but it is okay to take care of me.

Because like my friend Pam is always saying to me, If you don’t take care of the mom, who else is going to?

So, to all of you who are maxed out day after day taking care of everyone around you, let me remind you that it’s okay to take what you need to take care of you.
Wishing you long, and hot showers!

Comments

Jennifer said…
way to go girl... take care of yourself

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe