"Go Home"

It was dark and very late.

It was snowing and cold.

I was tired, so tired, and in the middle of nowhere.
I didn't know where I was.
I had no idea of where I was in relation to where I wanted to be.

So I climbed in the car and hit a button.
The button said "Go Home".

I wanted to be home.
But I didn't know how to get there.

Yet all I needed to do was to follow the steps on the GPS.
If I just did what it said I was certain that, after a while, I would be home; where I wanted to be

Even though I didn't know how to get there, I would get there.

It wasn't up to me to find my way home; I just had to want to go there.
When I asked to be lead back home, I was.

My ability to get home had nothing to do with my skills.
I got home because I knew I needed help and I knew to ask.

Sometimes we wander from home because we're chasing something and become so engrossed that we don't realize how far away we've gotten.
Sometimes we pack our bags in defiance and with rebellious steps set out to get as far away as quickly as possible.
I am always amazed how far from home you can get in a single day: how a scant twenty-four hours can have you thousands of miles away.

Intentional or not, when we find ourselves far from home and we want to go back, we just need to ask and then follow the directions.

You'll find the lights on, and your Father waiting with open arms.

"The LORD your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to him." 2 Chronicles 30:9b

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe