What's in a Name?

I was on Facebook looking up old acquaintances; typing in names from the past and seeing who I could find. So I decided to type in my maiden name to see how easy it would be to find me if someone were looking...

What I got were 385 people with my name...
385!
With my same name!
And that's just on Facebook!
Talk about being lost in a crowd...!

So, if you knew me before I was married, you would have to go through 385 pictures and lack of pictures and one word location clues until you could possibly narrow it down to which Becky is the Becky from long ago. I'm amazed anyone has ever found me at all!

So what's in a name?
Well, in my name, you may recall some times we've shared but in my God's name...

Psalms 9:10 says, "Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you."

By which names do you know your God?

Savior? As he has rescued you not only from eternal destruction but a life of meaninglessness.

Lord? As you continue to make your will subservient to His.

Provider? As you've seen him open his hand and meet your needs. (Psalm 104, 145, Phil. 4)

Father? As He has poured out his love on you as his own child. (Psalms 103)

Rock of safety? As there has been shelter and protection for you in time of trouble.(Psalms 46)

Emmanuel? As you've journeyed through hard places and known that you were not walking alone. (Hebrews 13, Psalms 23)

Shepherd? As you have known God's guidance for the right path for your feet? (Psalms 23,25)


Those who know your name...

The more names of God that we know - and I mean know in an experiential understanding kind of way, not merely the making of a list - the easier the second part of the verse is

...trust in you
because by your own experience you know that

...for you O Lord do not abandon those who search for you.


So what then is the greatest name we can know?

My name?
The boss's name?
The president's name?
A celebrity's name?

You already know the answer: "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12 and
"Therefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in Heaven and things on earth and things under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:10-12


His name is the greatest name.
For in His name is salvation, but not just for forever, but also for today; because the name that will one day bring you safely home, is also the name that will guide you each step of the way; because He will never abandon those who search for Him.

"The Lord says, I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue them and honor them." Psalms 91:14

So what's in His name?
Salvation

Strength

Blessing

Peace

Provision

Unfailing Love...

You can bet that's going to stand out in a crowd...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe