"Bring It On"

Three inches of icy slush had fallen overnight.
School had not been called off as it should have been and I was slogging out to see the kid's Christmas program.

Twice my car got stuck on the dismal side streets and I got out and kicked away the snow from around my tires and then went back and forth and back and forth until my car was moving again. By the time I got to the school program my gym shoe shod feet were so wet that even my socks were squishy! I was miserable during the whole program and afterward went straight to the shoe store to get some boots...

What had I been thinking?
I knew the conditions when I went outside but I was unprepared.

Today it was snowing, snowing, snowing. Several inches came down in the time I was out, making it another sloppy winter day. Today though my feet are dry. I was prepared. I was wearing my boots.

Are we prepared when we got out into our days?
Are our hearts ready for the assault which is inevitable?
Are we prepared to deal with discontentment and materialism, selfishness and antagonism, worry and uncertainty?

It shouldn't surprise us when we encounter these in our days.
The question is have we taken the steps to be prepared?

Have we spent some time with our Lord to get the proper perspective and protection against the things we'll be wallowing through as we walk the path of our daily lives?

A new year is upon us. Chances are we'll encounter many of the same things we have in previous years, similiar challenges with family and jobs and relationships, with money, and emotions and health. And chances are there will be things that cross our paths that totally surprise us.
Are we prepared for what is to come?
Can we be?

If I start each day in communion with the Lord of the Universe and the One who loves me so much that He holds me securely in the palm of His hand; then whatever happens I'll know I'm not alone and that it's not just about me and my strength or abilities but that the One who knows when a sparrow falls will be the One who is my help.

And, when you're slogging through messy slush, it makes a world of difference in how you feel at the end of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe