Ice not heat

I woke up with a knot in my neck. My first thought was to find the heating pad but instead I opened the freezer and grabbed an ice pack and in doing so chose healing over comfort.

I knew a heating pad would feel good and that ice would not, but I also knew that ice would make it feel better in the long run.

I find much of God's Word like ice when I am seeking heat.

A gentle answer turns away wrath...Proverbs 15:1

Love your enemies,
Do good to those who hate you,
Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also.
If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic... Luke 6:27-29

Let us not be weary in well doing...Galatians 6:9

Don't be selfish
Don't live to make a good impression on others.
Be humble thinking of others better than yourself ...Philippians 2:3

Be still and know that I am God... Psalms 46:10

These are not commands I prefer.
I'd rather give anger for anger, get instead of give, quit instead of keeping on and be more concerned about myself than others. These are not my natural inclinations...

They are as numbing as the ice on my skin, painful even when first applied; this cure often temporarily overshadowing the pain of the injury.

But this is the right thing to do: while not comforting, they are healing and therefore making me more whole than broken.

This is what God says to do.
The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul.
The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. Psalms 19:7

If I trust a doctor as to what to do for a knot in my neck, surely I can trust the One who created me for the best advice on how to live my life...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe