A Cool Place

 I am fascinated by my air conditioner.
(I know, simple minds are easily amused!)

I am amazed because it is still working.
Even though it's been running non-stop through a week of blistering heat, it's still going strong.

I keep expecting it to give out.
To say "enough is enough" and quit.
But still it is humming along keeping me cool and providing a place of refuge from the soaring heat and humidity.

I've always thought of a place of "refuge" as a well fortified castle with the drawbridge drawn up over the moat to keep out the enemy.
I'm rethinking that at the moment as I realize what a place of refuge an air conditioned room can be.

Coolness when it is hot.
Refreshing relief from oppression.
A place to breathe when everything else is stifling.
A place I need not worry about my survival and well being because here I can simply rest and know this is a safe and good place.

All of what is true of an air-conditioned room is also true of the refuge that God offers us; repeatedly offers us...

The Lord saves the godly; He is their fortress in times of trouble.  The Lord helps them...He saves them and they find shelter in Him.  Psalms 37:37-39

The name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run into it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Psalms 5:11

The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Psalms 9:9

Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes. Psalms 17:7

Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.Psalm 25:20

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalms 46:1

The next time you walk from the heat into the air conditioning be reminded of this truth - Our God is a refuge for us!

Comments

Unknown said…
Becky, I hadn't thought of my home or a/c as being a place of refuge, but it certainly is. As is my God! Great truth. Have a blessed weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe