Where is my "help meet"?

Help meet: it's from the old KJV where in Genesis 2:20 it is observed that all the animals had mates but Adam had not a "help meet for him". In today's English Adam needed someone to help him - the Hebrew word 'ezer means "help" or "one who helps."

I've decided tonight, as I was tackling the mountain of dishes and pots and pans on my kitchen counters which apparently were invisible and inconsequential to the rest of the family until they needed a spoon!, that I need a "wife"!
Where is my "one who helps"?

Apparently the female species was created to be helpers... that's sure what it looks like to me from Genesis 2. But the more I think about it, the more true it seems to be...(stay with me now it's not as sexist as you may think)

Women are helpers.
They are the most amazing and creative helpers on the planet.

Girlfriends call when they haven't talked to you in a couple days just to see how you are or when they're at the grocery store and have just found the most fantastic sale.

They both rejoice and weep with you sometimes in the same conversation because they are able to change gears just as quickly.

They love your kids.

They help you figure out what to do with that pound of frozen hamburger and only twenty minutes till dinner.

Girlfriends share what it's really like in the delivery room, nursing babies, raising toddlers, surviving teens,going through menopause, and caring for aging parents.

They may know and be friends with your husband but they always understand and support your side in a disagreement.

They encourage, challenge, support and inspire us.

Women show up.
At soccer games,in classrooms, in hospital rooms, at weddings and graduations and PTA meetings, and with prepared food, hot tea, and aspirin when you're sick.

They have this wonderful ability to adapt their own lives, schedules and sometimes even abilities to do whatever they can to help. Woman are ones who help.

God may have given my husband one "help meet" for him but He's given me a myriad of ones who help me.

Surprisingly when I looked up this term I found it in places other than its most famous appearance in Genesis.
This same term 'ezer appears in 19 other places than Genesis.
Let me share some of them: (in the same KJV in which we started)

Psa 20:1,2 In times of trouble, may the Lord answer thy cry and send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion;

Psa 33:20 Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he [is] our help and our shield.

Psa 70:5 But I [am] poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou [art] my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.
.
Psa 115:11 Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he [is] their help and their shield.

Psa 121:1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help [cometh] from the LORD, which made heaven and earth


Psa 124:8 Our help [is] in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.

Psa 146:5 Happy [is he] that [hath] the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope [is] in the LORD his God.

I was really surprised as I had no idea that same (often frustrating to me!) word from Genesis 2 is the same word in all these verses that tell me that not only has God put other women in my life to help me but that He is my "one who helps" and "happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help!!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe