We, the walking wounded

It's one of the oldest and most tired jokes...

"Why do you keep banging your head against the wall?"
"Because it feels so good when I stop!"

We are wounded people.

Wounded by life, by circumstances, by family, friends and associates. Some are wounds of the stabbing, twisting life-altering type that leave us in stunned shock. Others are more like a paper cut - not life threatening but that still hurt like the dickens.

Recently I was sucker punched - which, as the name implies, just adds insult to injury as you don't see it coming! But what has impacted me more than the wounding was the resulting assistance and comfort I received from others around me. Because of their care I came away with a new appreciation for their friendship and gratefulness to God for their presence in my life. Would I have had that attitude if I’d not experienced the pain? Probably not.

So are wounds worth the rewards?

I can’t answer that question.
Today, for me, I would say "yes" but I'm not you and for myself I may feel differently tomorrow...

But what I know is that God can use, as he did for Joseph, what is done to us with evil intentions for His own good. (Genesis 50:20).

So while I don’t suggest going and banging your head against a wall, if along the way today you are hurt, hear this invitation. “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” (Psalms 147:3)


No matter the severity – from breath stopping pain to annoying tiny slices – you have a Great Physician and His appointment book is wide open.

The Doctor will see you now.

Comments

Unknown said…
Awesome! We serve a God who knows what it is like to experience pain. I'm so thankful that His appointment book is always open.

Popular posts from this blog

Friends

There is a man named Don Casey

Safe