Change: the only constant?

It's almost the end of May which means there are lots of school year activities ending as summer begins.
A month from now will be summer vacations.
Four months from now we'll be in the midst of getting back into all the things that we're just ending now...

Six months ago you were scurrying about getting ready for Christmas...do you remember that? All the things you had to do before the holiday? the presents and the planning and the concerts and shows and gift exchanges and cookies and... Now all that stress seems like a distant memory. Don't worry though, in seven months you'll be right back there again!

A year ago, where were you?
How about five years ago? Ten? Fifteen?
Don't just read that last sentence, stop for a second and think about it. What was your life's situation one, five, ten, fifteen years ago?

How was it different than it is now?

What do you expect it to be like five, ten, fifteen years from now?

It has been said that the only constant in life, is change.
Our workplaces change.
Our children grow and leave.
Our relationships change - some ending, some beginning, some growing deeper, some becoming stagnant.
Our style and places of worship change.
We find ourselves ministering to different people.
Our bank statements fluctuate (hopefully for the better).
Our health changes.
And our perspective changes because of our experiences and in all of this: we also change.


But there is one constant, when we and everything around us changes:

"I am the Lord, I change not." Malachi 3:6

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Hebrews 13:8
amazing...

Thirty years ago I was a child, twenty years ago I was single, ten years ago I had one very small child: my life has changed.

But for thirty-five years something has not changed: and that is the fact that God has been my God, my light, my refuge, my salvation, my strength.

God does not change.

Where I will be and what people will be around me will be different in the years, and quite possibly even, the months to come. Yet God will still be my God and when I am coming to the end of this journey of life and end up frail, or alone still God will be with me: when my children have grown and my health has faded, the one thing that will not change is God's loving care over me.

"I still belong to you;
you are holding my right hand.
You will keep on guiding me with your counsel,
and afterward receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
I desire you more than anything on the earth.
My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
He is mine forever!" Psalms 73:23-26

So, in this day, filled with things that cannot help but change; spend time in developing your relationship with the one who never will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe