Exercise, Faith, Growth and Knitting?

I knit.
And when I say I knit what I mean is, I do the "knit stitch". I do not purl, increase, decrease, knit into the back of, double knit etc.

I know one stitch and that's how I qualify myself as a "knitter."
Consequently I make a lot of scarves...

Sadly there are many who have accepted Christ as Savior and are now Christians but have not developed a relationship with God.
Consequently they do a lot of worrying...

I tried a couple times to learn some other techniques. I found these beautiful patterns, these amazing things I could make if only I would only go a little farther in my knitting experience but I didn't. I didn't because it was too difficult. I didn't have the time, or enough interest or some other lame excuse so now my creative possibilities are limited.

The Bible says that we are to desire the sincere milk of the Word that we may grow thereby - to partake when the Bible says "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8) and by doing so to grow stronger in our faith, and in our knowledge and our understanding. But there is also the lament that this people are not ready for "meat" because they have not matured in their faith, they have not exercised what knowledge and what faith they already had so they are still like spiritual babies. (Hebrews 5:12 -14)

I'm thinking that the word "exercise" here means the same as in any other context...using those muscles and breaking a sweat. Growth involves effort. Use and practice is necessary to obtain higher skill levels in any sport.
Why would we think that our faith will grow just because we possess it?

Scarves are good but there's a whole other world of yarn crafts out there.
The security of a home in heaven is fantastic, but the benefit of a developing dynamic relationship with the God of the universe...that is beyond description.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe