The Scent of God's Goodness

It hit me as soon as I opened the box of fall decor, this scent of mulled cider, and it made me remember...

The October I turned forty I was able to take the beginning of a weekend and head up to Lake Geneva Wisconsin by myself. Turning the "Big 4-0" was a BIG deal to me - I mean this was"40" halfway to 80 - I'd already lived half my life, I was not only an adult now but had been an adult for twenty years - it was time to start feeling "all grown up" - when my parents were this age they were OLD! And then of course what about all that stuff you hear how your body goes downhill after forty, and your endurance is less, and you need bifocals or (if you're in denial about that) longer arms...for many reasons the future was looking less promising than the past.

(I must add a note here - if you are not yet forty you may be able to identify with what I'm saying. If you're past forty you're probably not remembering having such angst yourself now that you're on the other side of it and realizing it's not that bad and if you're really over forty I know you're thinking "40? Pshaw, you're just a baby!")

So here I am, alone on a beautiful fall weekend, contemplating this move into a new decade. I stopped to pick up some supplies; some great bread and cheese, a seasonal coffee, a fleece fall throw, and some candles.

Throughout that day I read through journals, listened to great music and walked through a cool afternoon surrounded by brilliant color until it became a clear crisp night with a full harvest moon.

So when I reached the end of this time filled with remembering and wondering and the scent of mulled cider; I was fully convinced of one thing; God had been faithfully active throughout my life so far and He was not going to desert me now.

For in all the words I read of my own life's journey and in all the promises of Scripture; I found they harmoniously joined together in the declaration "Great is His steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever!" (Psalms 117:2)

I had no idea of the changes the next few years would bring. About a month later my mom fell and broke her hip and had various other health concerns and before I would celebrate my next birthday she was home with her Lord. Finances change, kids grow, conflicts arise, nothing is stagnant and tomorrow is not guaranteed to look like today...
We have no idea what is ahead for any of us wherever we are in our lives whether today is a "big" turning point birthday or just another weekday; but here is what I know.

"Nevertheless I am continually with You, You hold me by my right hand.
You will keep on guiding me with your counsel and afterward receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
I desire you more than anything on earth.
My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak
but God remains the strength of my heart;
He is mine forever." Psalms 73:23-26

Nevertheless - you've got to love that word!

Nevertheless what my life has been to now, You are holding me by my hand.
Nevertheless what the future hold, You are continually with me.
Nevertheless when my body fails and my mind is gone, You are still mine forever!
These are precious promises to take with us into an unknown future.
So may this season in it's "cinnamony" scents also remind you that, whatever is ahead, great is His faithfulness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends

Safe

There is a man named Don Casey