Decisions

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both,

And being one traveler..."
And there's the problem isn't it? We are only one traveler and because we are only one, and we can only take one road; decisions must be made...

"And being one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth..."

And that would be the next problem.
The road curves.
We can peer down it as long and as hard as we can but we won't know what's ahead until we're committed to the path we've chosen.

Decisions.

And not the decision to wear the red shirt or the blue, these are weighty decisions, future affecting decisions, ones not to be taken lightly and that will most certainly cause one path to diverge far from the other...the "yet knowing how way leads on to way I doubted that I would ever come back."

In this uncertain present economy and the always nebulous future we find ourselves in the position of the traveler with diverging roads and the question is as pertinent to day as when Robert Frost first penned the words of The Road Not Taken; which way to go?

What's the best decision?

From this vantage point one road does not have an advantage.
There is no sign saying "This is the best way". Wouldn't that be nice though?

It'd be great to have the ability to rise up above the roads and see where they lead, how they turn and where they eventually come out. But I am one traveler who does not have that ability or a map with such information.

I have two roads, diverging, and bending in the undergrowth.
So as I stand here peering, pondering, and predicting, as long as I can, I find solace in these words;

"Who are those who fear the Lord? He will show them the path they should chose" Psalms 25:12

"For I am overwhelmed, and you alone know the way I should turn" Psalms 142:3

"And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left." Isaiah 40:21

"All the way my Savior leads me what have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercies who through life has been my guide?" Fanny Crosby

The One who knows the future also knows my heart. He knows my strengths and my struggles and He knows which path I am to take and even greater than that, He's promised to go with me.

"You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment you know where I am. You both precede and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. I can never escape from your spirit! I can never get away from your presence!" Psalm 139:3,5,7

"God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' " Hebrews 13:5

"The LORD who created you says: Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God." Isaiah 43:1-3

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

I still may not be certain of the way to go, but no matter what is ahead I know the One who goes with me.

Does that make it simple?
It should, but still I'm anxious and unsure.

And then I remember "The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear Him. For He understands how weak we are; He knows we are only dust." Psalms 103:13,14

He even understands my hesitancy and when I tentatively take those first steps down an unknown path, He goes with me holding my hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends

Safe

Pregnant...