Getting dressed for church

As I am without a church home, every Sunday is a little bit different as we're going to various churches and I find the type of church we're attending impacts what I'll be wearing. 
This morning it was casual pants and ballet flats, last week it was a skirt and heels. One service had hymnbooks and the other words on a screen; one a guy with a guitar, the other an amazing choir. On the platform today was a young pastor in jeans while last week there was an older minister in a suit behind a pulpit. The beauty of it was that each church, as different as they are, were still a place of worship and that I, in heels or flats, was still coming from love for my God.

There is no dress code when coming to God; no special outfitting necessary before He loves us.
If I pray with "Our Father who art in heaven" or "Lord, help!", God hears my prayer.
If my preferred translation is  KJV or NLT, the Spirit of God still speaks through His Word.

There are no qualifiers on our appearance when we come to God! No dressing up of ourselves is necessary nor a cleaning up of our hearts.  All He asks is that our hearts are open to Him. 

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, LORD. Psalms 89:15

"Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts." Hebrews 4:7

My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming." Psalms 27:8

Come.
Come just as you are.
Come in whatever you're currently wearing -
Just be sure to come.

Comments

Katie said…
Hi, Becky! I've been meaning to ask you for a while where you live. We live in the Chicago area; you do too, don't you?! :) Chris just graduated in May from Wheaton College Graduate School and is looking for a job, so we may not be here for long. . . We'll see. When you mentioned that you're visiting new churches, I wondered what area you lived in and where you've visited. We just recently started attending a new church ourselves. . .

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to Carol Gallowitch, and Sunday School teachers everywhere

There is a man named Don Casey

Safe