To-Do Lists of MANY things

I’ve given up trying to remember...

I’m not saying I’m old but I’ve given up trying to remember things. And, since it seems my memory is only as long as my pencil, I make lists – lots of lists –for everything because writing it down is my only hope of remembering what it is that I’m supposed to get done! I wish I could say this was a new thing but if it’s a sign of old age I’ve been old for decades!

There is always so much to do isn’t there? I feel that I cross one thing off and then add two more. I’ve discovered this morning that I’m not the only one…

“While they were traveling, He entered a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who also sat at the Lord’s feet and was listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks and she came up and asked, ‘Lord, don’t You care that my sister has left me to serve alone? So tell her to give me a hand.’ The Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her.’ ” Luke 10:38-42

Many tasks…

One day I was asked what I’d done that day and so I listed it – every last thing - and even I was amazed at the accounting because it was full of many, MANY things. I’ve always felt bad for Martha in this story – Mary, just sitting around, gets the credit for doing the right thing while Martha, busy providing for everyone, is chided.

Notice however that it was Martha who invited Jesus into their home. She was out there being hospitable. I wonder what prompted her to invite Jesus; my guess being she must have known something about who He was and what He’d been saying. She is the one who shows this interest and first step towards faith.

But then the reality of inviting Jesus and his numerous disciples for a meal overshadowed the original intentions she started with; the bread would not bake itself! And soon,as she was so distracted by her many tasks, she was missing the opportunity to spend time at the feet of Jesus.

It’s apparent that she went complaining to Jesus resentful but perhaps it isn’t with the obvious resentment of her sister’s lack of help but perhaps; it is more her resentment that she wished she also had the luxury of time and responsibilities to be listening to His words…
While I can’t project that on her I know that’s typically how I feel when having a get together as I end up so busy with the hosting that I’m lucky say more than a passing hello.

I think Martha meant well – she had high aspirations. She invited Jesus to her home, to come in and be with her but then she got distracted by the many things.

There will always be many things to distract us.
ALWAYS. Many MANY things!
So while we’re intentional about inviting Jesus into our days, let’s not get so distracted with everything else, that we fail to spend time at His feet actually being with Him. There will always be things but spending time with Him is the most important thing of all the ones on the list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There is a man named Don Casey

Friends

Safe